Saturday, November 7, 2009

Doha and the Dangerous Words

After my project ended, I needed to break out of my Riyadh / Dubai routine and hopped on a plane to Doha. A 45-minute jaunt across the Gulf revealed a city that was very similar to Dubai, albeit it smaller and with less to do. The city revolves around the Corniche, a palm-lined street along the Gulf leading to the financial center of the West Bay. Doha has attracted several international festivals and boasts world class museums. I experienced none of these things.

I was too captivated by the large words. The Qatar Foundation, funded by the emirate's gas reserves, ostensibly works to improve the country. All I saw it do was fund a multi-billion dollar pr campaign, that literally puts big words everwhere. The words are meant to be inspirational, but without any context, they inspire only derision. I mean, what are you going to gain from seeing a billboard that says "GROW" or a skyscraper adorned with "ELEVATE"?

CREATE, conveniently located in front of a new building project

DISCOVER, placed awkwardly in the middle of a multi-purpose field. Imagine playing a frisbee game and getting injured by accidentally running headlong into the "V". I think this word should read "CAUTION".

No comments:

Post a Comment