Thursday, January 7, 2010

What is Consulting?

I was peppered with this question whilst in the States. A good question, and one that I couldn't really answer. So, I decided to provide an illustrative example instead. I hope that the following "A Day in the Life" format will help you understand just what consulting is:

7:50 am - Consult alarm clock. Hit Snooze.

8:00 am - Re-consult alarm clock. Get ready for work.

8:25 am - Consult kitchen cabinet for breakfast options.

8:45 am - Implement action plan for arriving at work.

9:00 am - Research things.

11:00 am - Consultation call with team leader in Saudi Arabia.

1:00 pm - Lunch / Social consultations with co-workers.

2:00 pm - General consulting activities which can include but are not limited to: drawing on whiteboards, creating spreadsheets, the use of strategy frameworks.

5:30 pm - Create Powerpoint deck consolidating previous research and consulting activities. Add pretty colors.

7:15 pm - I make a really significant impact, and get home by 7:15.

I hope that was illuminating. For more on consulting, you may want to check out THIS INFORMATIVE VIDEO.

No comments:

Post a Comment