Thursday, January 7, 2010

Back in the DXB

After an epic airplane adventure, I got back to Dubai a couple nights ago to find the Burj Dubai under attack! From bailout money. For months now we've been speculating as to what exactly Abu Dhabi got in return for its $10 billion gift to service Dubai World's debt. Rumors ranged from control of Emirates Airlines to a shift in the border between the two city-states. And when Sheikh Mohammed unveiled the Burj as the Burj Khalifa (named after Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed, President of the UAE and ruler of Abu, we all knew. That's got to be a major blow to Sheikh Mo's ego. But it's still the tallest building in the world so he'll take it.

I wasn't sure what my reaction would be to being back in Dubai, after spending a couple weeks with so many old friends. But it's like being back to normal. I enjoy my 8-minute walking commute to work and like that my office is located on a college campus where there's always people milling about.***! And the cashier at the Indian place where I get lunch three days a week asked me how my break was and accurately counted the length of my vacation. I need to find more diverse lunch options...

I also came back to find that I have a case! I'm not yet privy to the level of confidentiality of the case so I'm not going to write anything about it just yet, suffice it to say I'll be spending the next two months in beautiful, sunny Maui! nope. Bali! nope. Saudi Arabia!

***!Our office is adjacent to the University of Wollongong Dubai. APPARENTLY this is the school in the UAE that our favorite would-be-terrorist-underwear-Nigerian-bomber-man went to school. I probably ate in the same food court as him. Blows my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment