Saturday, September 5, 2009

NUMB3RS

I went out Thursday night with a few students from the American University of Sharjah - they gave me some local insight. Said Jaleel - "over here, Emiratis value things you wouldn't. Like mobile phone and license plate numbers." It turns out people will pay top dollar for these. License plate numbers in the single digits sell for millions of dollars, and anything under three digits is "very nice." My companions then bragged about how this girl they know owns "187" and one time they saw "13" driving around. Telephone numbers with lots of the same number are also valuable, which explains why the cashier at the mobile store complimenting me on having a "great number." My phone number has two '3's and two '7's in it...

If spending money on license plates seems odd to you (as it does to me), keep in mind that you are not paying for the number, but rather the status that accompanies it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... I really should visit you. My phone number is 000-000-0000 and license plate is -1

    ReplyDelete