Friday, September 25, 2009

It's Never NSOver

I was talking to a few new friends at Trader Vick's ([Mid-Sentence Tangent] - the closest thing to a dive bar I've found in Dubai. Cheapest beer here is 35 dirhams a bottle or $9.50. Having grown up with $8 Tombs pitchers, this is a travesty. Also, you need a girl in your group to get in anywhere after midnight. Which is difficult, as I only know a handful of girls and the gender ratio here is 2.29 guys to each girl.I do my research. And for a guy like me who is only going for the beer (or a mojito if I'm feeling adventurous) the door policies are a bit oppressive. I actually want to spend $10 on your beers - Please allow me to do so. So if anyone is looking for a business opportunity in Dubai, I'll go 50-50 with you on a dive bar. [End Tangent]) about how moving to Dubai is a lot like going to college for the first time and recalled Vox Populi's NSO Conversation Flowchart.

The US-expat population here follows the same general principles as college:
--In a new environment
--Don't really know anyone
--Here for 2-4 years with high annual turnover
--Everyone's looking for a party but no one is hosting
--You meet people that your roommates know
...and everyone is still from New Jersey

No comments:

Post a Comment