Saturday, September 12, 2009

It's All in the Mall

After getting a bit more settled, I asked some ex-pats with more Dubai experience what I should do in my free time. They asked if I had been to the malls. I hadn't, so they quickly made a list of malls I should visit.

See, it's really hot here, and there are some 45 separate large malls across the city. There is a huge mall culture here that makes me feel like I am 15 again. I've been frequenting the Mall of the Emirates, which comes with its version of Rodeo Drive:



Also in Mall of the Emirates is SkiDubai. For the price of a lift ticket at any upscale mountain resort in the U.S., you can ski for three hours on a bunny hill...INSIDE. I don't see any point in going besides to say I have, but it is fun to watch other Dubaians have their winter fun:



Some of the other malls recommended to me were Ibn Battuta Mall, themed after each empire the traveler passed through, and Dubai Mall, the world's largest with 1200 stores and a shark tank you can scuba in.

1 comment:

  1. Ibn Battuta Mall...shopping with an educational bent...who says hanging out at malls is a waste of time!

    ReplyDelete