Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Jordan I: Dead Sea

A couple weekends ago I did another whirlwind / escape the Gulf trip. I met up with the Monitor team in Amman, Jordan, then a couple of us branched off to the Dead Sea and Petra.

Just being in this area (Jordan, Lebanon) carries Biblical weight. Every exit was something straight out of the Gospels. The exit before the Dead Sea was for Bethany-By-The-Jordan, where Jesus was baptized. Across the dead sea from us lay Palestine and Israel:

I was taken aback when we got out of the car by the blatant warnings about the dangers of the Dead Sea. I knew it was salty, but this sign added an aire of danger to our beachside jaunt:

We were also surrounded by crying children who did not heed the sign. Tip: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, PUT YOUR HEAD UNDERWATER AT THE DEAD SEA.

The buoyancy throws you off at first. I'm not the best swimmer, so the guarantee of not drowning was good. However, my legs floated a lot more than I used to, so it took me a few tries to regain my center of gravity.

After I mastered floating in the Dead Sea, the only thing left to do, naturally, was coat myself with the think mud at the bottom of the sea. It is supposed to make your skin healthy. It just made me feel dirty...


We then loaded up into our car and made it to Petra by nightfall. What unfolded the next day defies description in the English language. Book your trip to Petra now - I will share my experience tomorrow, insha'allah.

Ramadan Kareem!

No comments:

Post a Comment