Monday, February 1, 2010

Musings on a Whiskered Chin

I'm not growing a beard. I remain adamant that one does not "grow a beard." Such a term implies action, whereas the act of growing a beard is undoubtedly passive. I do not stand in front of the mirror, concentrate, and hope to sprout my stubble - nay, its most unencumbered growth occurs while I am unconscious.

This being said, I performed the key action today that separates the lazy from the bearded. I shaved the outline of what a beard could one day grow into. And this sparked immediate, if somewhat hostile reaction, from our office staff...

Jovi, our office host, upon seeing me this morning: "Mr. Nathan, what happened to your face?"
Me: "Got a haircut and haven't shaved in a bit. Do you like it?"
Jovi (in stride): "No."

...and later, by Ibrahim, one of our drivers...

Ibrahim: "Ah sir, I see you are now mutawwa."

Mutawwa = Religious Police, ie:


I'm gonna give this another day and if I get the same chiding its straight to the barber.

No comments:

Post a Comment